Sunday, May 20, 2007

Nothing remarkable



Today is Sunday, and after a nap my wife and I took a bike ride to a Starbucks. I picked up a New York Times, and held it under my arm while ordering our drinks. As we sat down at a table and read the paper I realized, as we were about to go, that I hadn't been charged for the paper. Well, I had pretty much reviewed all the parts of the paper that I usually do, and found there wasn't a lot of interesting material in it, so there was no point in paying for it. Or dragging it home for that matter, free or not. I asked my wife, "Well, what's worse, to steal a paper or put it back all messed up?" She laughed and said that obviously the answer was not to steal it, that if our daughter were with us it would be a bad example. So I put all the sections back together as neatly as I could and slipped it back on the rack.

Sundays are good for doing what you've been meaning to do for the past six days. I've decided to sell my trusty old Raleigh Professional bicycle and buy a new bike, one with modern features like bar mounted gear shifters, carbon fork, new componentry, etc. So I took a picture of it and posted it on Craigslist. This bike has been in my possession since the mid 1980s, frame and all; and prior to that everything but the frame was on the original bike that I bought in the mid 1970s. The original frame was vandalized one night while locked to a parking meter in Kenmore Square, in Boston, where I decided to leave it for the night (after drinking heavily in a local bar) and take the bus home.

No comments: